It's hard to believe this all started out as a box of untrimmed unsquared ten year old half-square triangles made with fabrics I didn't like. When I opened the box 2.5 months ago, I thought there were 1,000 or more, but it turned out there was a little less than 900. While still a jaw dropping number of HSTs, it left me short of my goal, by 250-something which I pieced together in a marathon session yesterday.
And this is what I'm going to make with those components. I have enough to make 30 12.5" blocks (5 x 6) resulting in a quilt top 60" x 72" (before borders).
I had to trim all the flying geese units I made today. But I was right about trimming 70 four-patches being preferable to trimming the 280 HSTs I made yesterday. The four patches I made today were almost 1/4" bigger all around than all the ones I made with trimmed HSTs. I think there's a lesson in that for me. My habit of working with trimmed perfect components is not just a manifestation of OCD.
I trimmed off quite a bit to make them square.
And this was the pile before trimming, just after ironing and twirling the back seams.
And this was the string of flying geese after I finished sewing them this afternoon.
I think I've earned an evening off. No ironing. No cutting. No trimming. No sewing. I might take my new box of tidy 4-patch components and start laying them out as blocks for chain piecing.