Friday, September 30, 2011

Two Sweet-as-Pie Lap Quilt Finishes


Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

My longarm quilter used yellow thread on the top and red on the bottom to quilt an allover design that is suggestive of heat waves and flames.




And, Saskatoon Berry Pie
(a berry similar to a blueberry but sweeter and less juicy)


I love the quilting detail my longarm quilter stitched into this top, extending the yellow thread into the blue border.


And the blue stitching on the back.


You can really see the swirls she quilted into the border from the pic of the back of the quilt.

I lived in Saskatoon for a couple of years in the 1990s.  There was a small bakery I would pass on my walk home from the office and every Friday, I would stop and buy a small pie (a tartlet really), big enough for two servings of pie, my weekend indulgence.  More than a dozen years have passed and I still miss that pie.  The blue in my quilt isn't quite right.  A saskatoon berry is blue with a blush of pinkish purple.  But I was feeling nostalgic when I named these quilts.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely quilts and great quilting! It is wonderful to have a storie to relate to these quilts! It makes them more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilts! Guess I need to make an alligator quilt--my dad had a bakery and the comment I'm faced most with when I see someone from my hometown is, "Man I miss those alligators." They were a doughnut cut in the form of an alligator jaw and filled with strawberry butter-cream icing. Not my fav, but the favorite of many! Me--I miss the cookies! But, my brother has a bakery not too far from here and whenever I get a hankering for a raisin-filled cookie, I drive over!

    Love both of the quilts. Interesting how color makes them so different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me....If I can do this, ANYONE can!!! I did get a little confused a bit. But what I did was take the string pieces to form the letters and sorta lay them out in the correct shape. Then visually, looked at it like a 9 patch. broke it down into sections (the background and the fabric in the letters) and sewed the sections together. (I hope that makes sense) Some were easier than others, but you CAN do it, I was even thinking about letters, so it is not really that hard!!!!

    ReplyDelete